Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Suheir Hammad & Marjane Satrapi on War

"I will not dance to your war drum. I will not lend my soul or my bones to your war drum." I thought this was a very important quote because she's saying she does not agree with all this war. That she will not risk her life into something she doesn't believe in. She will not give in to all this pressure the world is putting on her. That she is a strong willed person with an even stronger soul.
Both, Marjane and Suheir, speak their mind and won't let anyone tell them that their wrong. Marjane always talks back to people and being a rebel. I think that Suheir likes to nudge people in a direction to believe her way of thinking.
The thing that struck me in both the poetry and the movie was serious they were about how they felt. They felt really strong about there rights as women. The emotions and the intensity Suheir had was unreal. I feel like she was say her poem right off the top of her head. Marjane stood up for anything she thought was right.

No comments: